Built up from the Middle Ages around the chapel in honour of Our Lady, Vivenkapelle grew out to a little society. The existence of Vivenkapelle dates from the 14th century. In 1350, Heindric Braderic, Lord of Viven, became the admission to pull up this chapel. In the 19th century, a well provided Bruges' family donated to Vivenkapelle the necessary tools to extend the chapel to a Neogothic complex.
The projector of the complex is Jean-Baptiste de Bethune. This Neogothic parish complex is protected as a monument and is made up by a church, a parsonage, a monastery with a boy's school and a nunnery with a girl's school.