From 3 July to October 2023 (3 years)
The splendid landscape of the Zwin, as we know it today, looked very different in the middle ages. The wide Zwin channel with its flourishing international ports dominated the landscape. Bruges and Flanders experienced their heydays due to their connection to the sea. You can explore this beautiful area between Knokke-Heist, Sluis, Damme and Bruges on your bicycle. With some prior knowledge and the use of our free cycling map, you will find traces of this rich past in the landscape. The four VR-viewers (coronaproof) along the way will help you trigger your imagination. Looking through the viewers, you will leave the actual surroundings and find yourself virtually amongst the vibrant medieval port cities. The 360° view will make you feel like you are part of this world. To make it even more exciting, scan the QR-code on the cycle map and receive alerts and information on your smartphone when you pass a place of archaeological interest.
Discover the cycle route
- Distance: 60 km (or 44 km or 31 km), in various stages.
- Starting: Zwin Nature Park, Sluis, Damme or Bruges.
- Signage: There are indicators along the entire route.
- Including: practical information, location VR-viewers and stops along the way
- Extra: the free cycling map is in four languages (Dutch, French, German and English)