Gemeente Toerisme Damme

Fort Saint-Job

Along the canal, we still can see the ruins of Fort Saint Job, built here in May 1604 to defend the town of Damme.

The fort had probably not yet been completed when the troops of Maurice captured it during the siege of Sluis. After Sluis was conquered in 1604 the fort was included in the triangle of forts with Saint Frederic and Saint Donaas forts. On 4 November 1783 the Austrian troops occupied the fort from Bruges. They immediately proceeded with its destruction, at the same time as fort Saint Donaas. Today there is little left of the fort: elevations and depressions in the field are the last remains.

Share this page

Visit Damme

Jacob van Maerlantstraat 3 8340 Damme Phone+32 (0)50 28 86 10
open 9.30-12.30 h. and 13.00-17.00 h.

For professionals